Re: System "hangs" on kernels > v4.4-rc1 - mpt2sas problem?

From: James Bottomley
Date: Fri Jan 08 2016 - 13:57:05 EST

On Fri, 2016-01-08 at 18:42 +0000, Luck, Tony wrote:
> > We're not quite out of the woods yet: dracut should have seen this
> > automatically because of the module alias bindings. Is your system
> > somehow unusual and you don't expect the initrd automatic module
> > selection to work? If not, could you help us debug why it didn't?
>
> I saw the same problem building a 4.4-rc* kernel on a RHEL7.2
> and SLES12-SP1 system.
>
> My build process is in both cases is:
> $ tar xf linux-...
> $ cd linux...
> $ cp /boot/config-xyzzy .
> $ yes "" | make oldconfig
> $ make -j 100
> $ su
> # make -j 100 modules_install && make install
>
> What sort of features of a system might be considered "unusual"?
> This looks a very simple system ... just one disk controller with two
> drive bays occupied.
>
> Let me know if you'd like run any topology reporting commands.

No, the problem will lie in the initrd building part. I know that with
debian mkinitramfs takes the -v option which will tell you what modules
it's selecting and why, but I'm not very familiar with enterprise
distributions; chances are whatever command you use to build the initrd
does take a -v.

James