Re: cgroup: BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference

From: Serge E. Hallyn
Date: Mon Jan 04 2016 - 14:16:01 EST

On Sat, Jan 02, 2016 at 06:54:37AM -0500, Tejun Heo wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 01, 2016 at 03:40:28PM -0800, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
> > all,
> >
> > When running the latest linux-next (20151231) two of my machines
> > hang early in the boot sequence. The initial message is for a
> > NULL pointer dereference.
> >
> > BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000030
> >
> > And the RIP line refers to cgroup_path.
> >
> > RIP [<ffffffff810eb178>] cgroup_path+0x30/0x80
> >
> > Attached are pictures of the back trace.
> >
> > Let me know if I can do anything else to help. I will investigate the
> > problem further if I get a chance.
>
> This is most likely from the recent changes from cgroup ns support.
> Reverted the patchset for now as it also introduced a bisectability
> issue. Serge, can you please look into this one?

Hi Tejun,

an updated set is at https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/sergeh/linux-security.git/commit/?h=cgroupns.v9
Would you like a new patchset send to the list, or is the github
tree ok?

This branch:
1. puts lookup_one_len() under inode lock
2. makes cgroup_path non-namespaced, so only calls to
cgroup_path_ns() are namespaced.
3. makes cgroup_path{,_ns} take the needed locks, since
external callers cannot do so.
4. Fixes the bisectability problem of to_cg_ns() being
defined after use (patch 4 -> patch 3)

thanks,
-serge