Re: [PULL] Re: bcache stability patches

From: Denis Bychkov
Date: Thu Dec 31 2015 - 02:23:58 EST

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:00 PM, Eric Wheeler
<bcache@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Jens and Kent,
>
> This affects many users, so please take a look when you have a moment:
>
> There is a growing bcache user community with a well-tested patchset that
> is necessary for production bcache use. The diffstat is small and we all
> want someone to pull it in and get it into mainline. This would serve
> many people if this can get pulled in upstream.
>
> More below:
>
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2015, Denis Bychkov wrote:
>> There is a set of bcache stability patches elevating bcache stability to
>> production level. As far as I know, there is no single reported and peer
>> confirmed bug that is not solved by this set. Unfortunately, for some
>> reason, Kent does not have enough time and/or energy to review them and
>> send them upstream. Let's come up with a solution that would allow to
>> review all these patches (some of them written by Ken himself, some of
>> them produced by the community), review them and hand them to the
>> maintainer who is willing to apply them upstream. Without that, bcache
>> is just another half-assed unstable and buggy cache layer. These patches
>> will allow people to start use bcache in production systems. Please find
>> the patch set attached. (The patches apply cleanly to 4.3 and 4.4 kernel
>> series).
>
> Hi Dennis,
>
> I'm maintaining a branch here that is ready to merge. We have been
> testing this for about a year in production and works great. All Cc's and
> authors are correct and it (should) have every stability patch below,
> possibly others too. Please tell me if there are any patches missing:

Just went through all the patches I have, looks like you did not miss any. The
only small correction - the author of commit
53803810fce7826feff7d5632a7ab3cc991e6243
is me, not Gabriel de Perthuis. Gabriel wrote the original patch which
I mention in
the comment, but it was broken (did not release the mutex), so I
created a new one,
that actually fixed the problem with device_busy error.

--

Denis