Debugging problems with SCHED_FIFO and CPU affinity

From: Fabrice Triboix
Date: Wed Nov 25 2015 - 07:40:26 EST

Dear All,

We are seeing problem with our application, which is based on Linux.
Our application has many threads and we use SCHED_FIFO for threads that must have a low latency. We also use CPU affinity to try to force an even distribution of the load.

When a given event occurs, one of the SCHED_FIFO thread stops for 83ms and this prevents the correct functionning of the application. Fortunately, this bug is 95% reproducible. Interestingly enough, the problem disappears when I do not set any thread priority and CPU affinity (but the application breaks on the long run).

I am trying to investigate the issue with ftrace, with limited success so far, and I would appreciate a bit of help. I am trying to analyse the ftrace stuff using kernelshark, and I suspect a weird interaction between the the kernel and user-land.

My first question is: Is this the right mailing list to get some help on such an issue?

Many thanks for any help!

Fabrice Triboix

Company registration number: 08121803
Place of registration: England

This email and any attachments are sent in strictest confidence for the sole use of the addressee
and may contain legally privileged, confidential, and proprietary data. If you are not the intended
recipient, please advise the sender by replying promptly to this email and then delete and destroy
this email and any attachments without any further use, copying or forwarding.

Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail