Re: [Patch v7 4/7] PCI/ACPI: Add interface acpi_pci_root_create()

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Mon Nov 09 2015 - 15:09:58 EST

On Monday 09 November 2015 17:10:43 Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 03:07:38PM +0100, Tomasz Nowicki wrote:

> > >How about the attached to patch to support TypeTranslation?
> > >It only passes compilation:)
> >
> > Based on the further discussion, your draft patch looks good to me.
> > Lorenzo, do you agree?
>
> No, because I still do not understand the difference between ia64 and
> arm64 (they both drive IO ports cycles through MMIO so the resource
> descriptors content must be the same or better they must mean the same
> thing). On top of that, this is something that was heavily debated for DT:
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg345633.html
>
> and I would like to get Arnd and Bjorn opinion on this because we
> should not "interpret" ACPI specifications, we should understand
> what they are supposed to describe and write kernel code accordingly.
>
> In particular, I would like to understand, for an eg DWordIO descriptor,
> what Range Minimum, Range Maximum and Translation Offset represent,
> they can't mean different things depending on the SW parsing them,
> this totally defeats the purpose.

I have no clue about what those mean in ACPI though.

Generally speaking, each PCI domain is expected to have a (normally 64KB)
range of CPU addresses that gets translated into PCI I/O space the same
way that config space and memory space are handled.
This is true for almost every architecture except for x86, which uses
different CPU instructions for I/O space compared to the other spaces.

> By the way, ia64 ioremaps the translation_offset (ie new_space()), so
> basically that's the CPU physical address at which the PCI host bridge
> map the IO space transactions), I do not think ia64 is any different from
> arm64 in this respect, if it is please provide an HW description here from
> the PCI bus perspective here (also an example of ia64 ACPI PCI host bridge
> tables would help).

The main difference between ia64 and a lot of the other architectures (e.g.
sparc is different again) is that ia64 defines a logical address range
in terms of having a small number for each I/O space followed by the
offset within that space as a 'port number' and uses a mapping function
that is defined as

static inline void *__ia64_mk_io_addr (unsigned long port)
{
struct io_space *space = &io_space[IO_SPACE_NR(port)];
return (space->mmio_base | IO_SPACE_PORT(port););
}
static inline unsigned int inl(unsigned long port)
{
return *__ia64_mk_io_addr(port);
}

Most architectures allow only one I/O port range and put it at a fixed
virtual address so that inl() simply becomes

static inline u32 inl(unsigned long addr)
{
return readl(PCI_IOBASE + addr);
}

which noticeably reduces code size.

On some architectures (powerpc, arm, arm64), we then get the same simplified
definition with a fixed virtual address, and use pci_ioremap_io() or
something like that to to map a physical address range into this virtual
address window at the correct io_offset;

Arnd