Re: Laptop CPU Intel N3530 with Linux version 4.2.5 complete freezes from time to time

From: Austin S Hemmelgarn
Date: Mon Nov 02 2015 - 09:16:19 EST

On 2015-11-01 13:45, Vitor Pereira wrote:
Hi,
Laptop CPU Intel N3530 with Linux version 4.2.5 complete freezes from
time to time and I cannot find the right solution. It does not respond
to keyboard or mouse and only hardreset helps out.
I have installed Arch Linux with KDE Plasma 5.4.2 on my laptop LG
15U340-L.BK55P1 with Corsair Neutron SSD and it freezes randomly.
Sometimes only a few minutes after start and sometimes hours. It freezes
more often when I do something on the internet (videostream).

I have disabled intel-pstate and use acpi-cpufreq (although the
temperature should not be the problem) and it still freezes.
I also have compiled Linux 4.2.5 with CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y,
CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP=y and CONFIG_PROC_VMCORE=y to use Kdump. I checked
whether the crash kernel was working running command echo c >
/proc/sysrq-trigger and it worked. But when I reboot Linux 4.2.5, loaded
crash kernel and waited for Linux 4.2.5 freezes then Kdump was not
triggered.
Try building with the following kconfig options added:
LOCKUP_DETECTOR=y
BOOTPARAM_HARDLOCKUP_PANIC=y
BOOTPARAM_SOFTLOCKUP_PANIC=y
DETECT_HUNG_TASKS=y
BOOTPARAM_HUNG_TASK_PANIC=y

While those won't fix the issue, they should at least get you a crashdump when the system hangs, which in turn should help track down what exactly is happening.