Re: H264 headers generation for driver

From: Hans Verkuil
Date: Mon Oct 12 2015 - 05:49:32 EST

On 09/29/2015 08:59 PM, Andrey Utkin wrote:
> This is a new chapter of tw5864 video grabber & encoder driver
> development drama.
> Last state of code is here (tw5864 branch, drivers/staging/media/tw5864):
> https://github.com/bluecherrydvr/linux/tree/tw5864/drivers/staging/media/tw5864
>
> Currently I use a third-side LGPL library for H.264 headers generation
> - SPS, PPS and slice headers (because device doesn't generate them).
> It is included as a git submodule "h264bitstream". It is used from
> tw5864-h264.c .
> Of course we want our driver to get to upstream repository when it
> matures enough, that's why we want to ask for advice regarding this.
> I see that there is no similar case in upstream kernel repo - no
> submodules and no libraries for H264 bitstreams.
> Device datasheet
> (http://lizard.bluecherry.net/~autkin/tw5864/tw5864b1-ds.pdf , page
> 47) shows that there's almost no variety of modes, so minimally an
> implementation of bitstream writing functions ue() and se() will
> suffice.
> I guess that one acceptable way is to pre-generate all headers for all
> needed cases and ship them inlined; for correctness checking purpose,
> it is possible to ship also a script or additional source code file
> which is able to generate same headers.
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks in advance for any kind reply.

You can do something like this:

drivers/media/platform/vivid/vivid-tpg-colors.c

Both the generated tables and the code that generates them are in one
file.

An alternative is to add a source to v4l2-core that generates the tables,
but I don't know if that is feasible (i.e., if it can be made sufficiently
generic).

Regards,

Hans