Re: block: flush queued bios when the process blocks

From: Mike Snitzer
Date: Mon Oct 05 2015 - 16:59:49 EST

On Thu, May 29 2014 at 7:52pm -0400,
Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 2014, Jens Axboe wrote:

> > > One could create something like schedule notifier chain, but I'm not sure
> > > if it is worth the complexity because of just two users. If more users
> > > come in the future, it could be generalized.
> >
> > Except such a thing already exists, there are unplug callback chains. All I'm
> > asking is that you look into how feasible it would be to use something like
> > that, instead of reinventing the wheel.
> >
> > --
> > Jens Axboe
>

> You can use this patch as an example that moves current->bio_list to
> struct plug, but I don't recommend to put it in the kernel - this patch
> still has some issues (some lvm raid tests fail).

Mikulas,

Could it be that cond_resched() wasn't unplugging? As was
recently raised in this thread: https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/9/18/378
Chris Mason's patch from that thread fixed this issue... I _think_ Linus
has since committed Chris' work but I haven't kept my finger on the
pulse of that issue.

FYI, I've put rebased versions of your 2 patches in my wip branch, see:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/snitzer/linux.git/log/?h=wip

I tweaked the 2nd patch that adds bio_list to plug so that
generic_make_request's checks for in_generic_make_request isn't racey
(your original patch could happen to have current-plug set but
in_generic_make_request not yet set).

Anyway, I'm just dusting off your earlier work and seeing if I can make
sense of a way forward that meets Jens' approval. Jens, if adding a
bio_list to struct blk_plug isn't what you were after either please be
more specific on what you would like to see...

Thanks,
Mike