Re: netlink: Add netlink_bound helper and use it in netlink_getname

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Sat Sep 26 2015 - 16:05:26 EST

Hello,

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 03:55:48AM +0800, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Well I disagree. When I say that it returns to user-space I really
> mean that the next time we use portid via the same call path that
> triggered the connect we must be checking nlk->bound anyway.
>
> Good luck finding more bugs in this code :)

Frankly, I don't understand what you've been trying to achieve.
You're actively disregarding best practices (like terminating
synchronization where it starts) and reach the target state by doing a
browian motion in the solution space. Sure, if you do enough of that,
eventually you can arrive somewhere where it's not broken but it leads
to a lot more overhead for everyone involved - the author, reviewers
and later readers of the code and if you spread barrier usages like
this across the kernel, we'll end up with code base which is a lot
harder to verify and maintain. I hope you stop doing things this way
but suppose that you're ignoring any conceptual arguments in this
thread.

Thanks.

--
tejun