Re: fuse scalability part 1

From: Ashish Samant
Date: Fri Sep 25 2015 - 13:54:26 EST

On 09/25/2015 05:11 AM, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 9:17 PM, Ashish Samant <ashish.samant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We did some performance testing without these patches and with these patches
(with -o clone_fd option specified). We did 2 types of tests:

1. Throughput test : We did some parallel dd tests to read/write to FUSE
based database fs on a system with 8 numa nodes and 288 cpus. The
performance here is almost equal to the the per-numa patches we submitted a
while back.Please find results attached.
Interesting. This means, that serving the request on a different NUMA
node as the one where the request originated doesn't appear to make
the performance much worse.

Thanks,
Miklos
Yes. The main performance gain is due to the reduced contention on one spinlock(fc->lock) , especially with a large number of requests.
Splitting fc->fiq per cloned device will definitely improve performance further and we can experiment further with per numa / cpu cloned device.

Thanks,
Ashish