Re: First kernel patch (optimization)

From: Alexander Holler
Date: Mon Sep 21 2015 - 13:21:14 EST

Am 21.09.2015 um 17:47 schrieb Austin S Hemmelgarn:

The problem I see with this argument is:
1. There's a lot of code in the kernel that wouldn't be merged today in
the state it's in, this creates a false sense of what quality is
expected for new code (BTRFS in particular comes to mind here).

Just to say it a last time, THE CODE I'VE POSTED WAS NEVER MEANT FOR MERGING in that state. Regardless how many people will still come by and repeat that it was ugly, bad and broken to just use that as an additional argument against me.

I've absolutely no idea how you all start to test an idea and demonstrate it others, but I don't waste time on such tasks with looking for style, (premature) optimization or even races.

I know how write production ready code, doing such since a long time and I know how much time that costs, and I know that only fools (or students which have to show that they can write good code) spend this time for code which might end up in the waste bin anyway.

Alexander Holler