MacBook8,1 (2015) HID Hardware Support

From: Aleksa Sarai
Date: Sat Sep 19 2015 - 13:10:53 EST

Hello,

I've been trying to get Linux installed on a MacBook8,1 (not the pro)
and have had trouble getting keyboard input to work, despite
a4a2c54560f2c57b88ba0283f141b44f594c2337 ("HID: apple: Add support for
the 2015 Macbook Pro") and d58069265c9d15c04c9e3832cd1d9dffe9d4d5f6
("Input: bcm5974 - add support for the 2015 Macbook Pro"). Even
compiling it into the kernel itself or forcing hid-apple module
did) it's because the hardware is different to the MacBookPro12,1.
However, looking at the product and vendor ID:

Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad:

Product ID: 0x0272
Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
Version: 6.22
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Location ID: 0x01000000

It seems that this hardware was added to hid-apple as
USB_DEVICE_ID_APPLE_WELLSPRING9_ANSI in both of the above linked
commits, so what gives? Is there some peculiarity with this hardware?
Am I not reading the above patches correctly? I'd be happy to test any
patches you'd like to throw at me.

--
Aleksa Sarai (cyphar)
www.cyphar.com