Re: Failover root devices

From: Drew DeVault
Date: Thu Sep 17 2015 - 07:50:04 EST

On 2015-09-17 1:40 PM, Ortwin Glück wrote:
> You can do that completely in user space from an initramfs.

Yep, I'm aware of that. I think it would still be useful for the kernel
to support it. Bonus - if the kernel supports it, there's a standard way
of doing it that would propegate down to the various initramfs designs
of the distros without having me write patches against all of them.
Right?

I'm working on an initramfs-based solution that meets my own needs, for
what it's worth.

> Above script actually makes it easy by supporting disk labels:
> root=LABEL=ROOT will boot the first available partition that is labelled
> ROOT. It is independent of the device name and works nice when you switch
> hardware vs. virtual machines for instance.

This is a neat idea, I'll check it out.

--
Drew DeVault