Re: First kernel patch (optimization)

From: Raymond Jennings
Date: Wed Sep 16 2015 - 13:25:14 EST

On 09/16/15 09:40, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 05:03:39PM +0100, Eric Curtin wrote:
Hi Greg,

As I said in the subject of the mail (which I have been since told I
shouldn't have done this), I'm a noob to kernel code. I tried to pick
off something super simple to just see what the process of getting a
patch in is. Youtube videos and documentation only get you so far.

From reading your response, should I refrain from sending in these
micro-optimizations in future? Getting in smaller patches is easier
for me as I only do this in my spare time, which I don't have a lot
of!
What I'd ask you to consider is what your end goal? Is it just to
collect a scalp (woo hoo! I've gotten a patch into the kernel)? Or
is it to actually make things better for yourself or other users? Or
are you trying to get make your self more employable, etc.
It could well be that he's wanting to practice getting used to the development process.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2004/12/20/255
Micro-optimizations is often not particularly useful for anything
other than the first goal, and it really doesn't help anyone.

If you're just doing this in your spare time, then hopefully I hope
you are being choosy about what's the best way to use your spare time,
so the question of what your goals are going to be is a very important
thing for you to figure out. Regardless of whether it's worthwhile to
get this patch into the kernel, doing any *more* micro-optimizations
is probably not a good use of your time or anyone else's.

I'd strongly encourage you to move on to something more than just
micro-optimizations as quickly as possible.
Tytso is right here. If you want to be useful you should find something with real impact once you've learned the ropes.

Best regards,

- Ted