Re: Regarding USER_HZ and the exposure of kernel jiffies in userspace

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Sat Aug 22 2015 - 10:30:34 EST

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015, William Breathitt Gray wrote:
> I believe the error in my understanding is the assumption that _all_
> instances of kernel jiffies exposure in userspace should be scaled; but
> it appears that not all instances are. When are kernel jiffies meant to
> be scaled via USER_HZ, and when are they not?

All instances which are de facto APIs, syscalls and also various files
in proc/ must be in USER_HZ because userspace applications depend on
the USER_HZ value.

proc/timer_list is exempt from that because its more a debugging
interface which is not part of the strict kernel API. And we really
want to see the real values and not the scaled USER_HZ ones for that
purpose. I hope that answers your question.

Thanks,

tglx