Re: [Regression v4.2 ?] 32-bit seccomp-BPF returned errno values wrong in VM?

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat Aug 22 2015 - 06:04:06 EST

* Denys Vlasenko <dvlasenk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It was nearly inevitable that something would break during untangling.

1)

So the 'chronic lack of compat, audit/noaudit and Wine testing' was certainly
avoidable.

The problem wasn't the fact that something was bound to break, but the latency of
finding these bugs. If we cannot reduce the latency so that bugs are caught early
enough (before they reach mainline) then we shouldn't be doing such changes.

We are slowly adding tests for that in the x86 self-tests, but IMHO we should be
more proactive than that.

2)

Another structural problem I saw occasionally was the attempt to characterise away
regressions.

That's a 100% no-no: if a change breaks any user-space program, it does not matter
how 'correct' a change is, how weird the user-space dependence and how rare the
user-space program: the regression needs to be fixed either by going forward with
a fix or by going backwards via reverting the change.

Thanks,

Ingo