Re: Persistent Reservation API V2

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Fri Aug 21 2015 - 03:00:01 EST

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 11:56:36PM +0000, Keith Busch wrote:

> NVMe can also specify
> if whether or not a reservation should persist through power-loss.

SCSI does as well, it's the APTPL flag. However reservations not persistent
through a power loss are basically useless, so I decided to force them on
in the API. From the documentation:

"All implementations are expected to ensure the reservations survive
a power loss"

So I would prefer not to add it, or if we really have to as a negative flag
to specifically opt out of the APTPL behavior.

> with it. For example, NVMe can ignore existing keys when acquiring a
> reservation in addition to registering a new key.

This sounds like a sensible addition to me, and I wouldn't be surprised
if future SPC versions will add this flag.