Re: [GIT PULL] x86 fixes

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Aug 19 2015 - 06:00:50 EST

On 08/18/15 23:50, Ingo Molnar wrote:

Ah, so I was able to make math-emu work with the 'no387 nofxsr' boot options.

It turns out that the crash happens due 'no387' not turning off all modern FPU
features in cpufeatures, which confuses the FPU code. (This is a far less severe
bug than math emu not working at all.)

I get some instances of:

/etc/rc3.d/S99local: line 26: 1626 Illegal instruction

due to user-space presuming modern FPU capabilities:

And I bet if CPUID actually reported the right thing it probably would work okay. As I said, I tested this under Qemu which reported an accurate (lack of) CPUID for a 486SX.

-hpa