Re: kexec, x86: Need a new e820 type support for kexec

From: Toshi Kani
Date: Wed Aug 19 2015 - 01:36:10 EST

On 8/18/2015 8:53 PM, Baoquan He wrote:
On 08/18/15 at 09:01am, Toshi Kani wrote:
On Tue, 2015-08-18 at 16:53 +0800, Baoquan He wrote:
Rethink it again, maybe it's better to pass PMEM as PRAM to kdump
kernel if user really want to use memmap way by specifying
--pass-memmap-cmdline. Then I need add the PMEM and PRAM checking here
you pointed out. Will repost with them.
No, you should not report PMEM as PRAM. They are different things. The
kdump kernel does not need to support memmap cmdline for PMEM, as the
regular kernel does not -- memmap cmdline cannot emulate PMEM.
OK. Then it will be wrong if people intend to specify
--pass-memmap-cmdline. There might be 3 ways to fix this:

1) add PMEM support in kernel. memmap cmdline is not only used for
emulating, but for kexec/kdump using.

2) Delete --pass-memmap-cmdline option in kexec-tools since people
rarely use it.

3) Add a note in kexec-tools that option --pass-memmap-cmdline can't
work together with PMEM, people should not use it.

3) is fine, and I do not think we need a note either. It does not make sense to add an memmap cmdline for PMEM since PMEM ranges require ACPI NFIT table.

Thanks,
-Toshi