Re: [regression] x86/signal/64: Fix SS handling for signals delivered to 64-bit programs breaks dosemu

From: Stas Sergeev
Date: Tue Aug 18 2015 - 02:29:59 EST

13.08.2015 20:00, Brian Gerst ÐÐÑÐÑ:
On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 8:37 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Stas Sergeev <stsp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I realize this patch may be good to have in general, but
breaking userspace without a single warning is a bit
discouraging. Seems like the old "we don't break userspace"
rule have gone.
That rule hasn't gone anywhere.

Does a plain revert just fix everything? Because if so, that's the
right thing to do, and we can just re-visit this later.

I don't understand why Andy and Ingo are even discussing this. What
the f*ck, guys?

I'm trying to fix it without reverting. If that doesn't work, then we
revert. Yesterday, I thought I had a reasonably clean fix, but it
turned out that it only solved half of the problem.

If we revert, I think I need to check what will break due to the
revert. I need to check at least Wine, and we'll have to do something
about all the selftests that will start failing. I also need to check
CRIU, and IIRC CRIU has started using the new sigcontext SS in new
versions.
I don't think Wine will be a problem, at least how it is currently set
up. 16-bit support is only in the 32-bit build. The 64-bit build
only supports Win64 apps, and will call the 32-bit version (installed
in parallel) to run 32 and 16-bit apps.
Is this also because of the lack of the proper 32/16bit support in
a 64bit kernels? If so, dosemu's work-arounds do not look like the
too bad thing compared to that. :)