Re: [GIT PULL] x86 fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Aug 17 2015 - 12:57:28 EST

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 3:59 AM, Denys Vlasenko <dvlasenk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have it running linux 2.6.20 and busybox here:
>
> http://busybox.net/live_bbox/live_bbox.html
>
> (or rather, *you* will have it running linux 2.6.20 inside your browser,
> after you click on that link)

Heh. I'm not sure that's a very useful thing, but if somebody can make
a kvm image or something with an old distribution that is known to
work with FPU emulation, maybe we should verify that the current code
at least works.

Because even if we decide that just deleting it is the right thing for
long-term maintainability, it would be better if we delete it in a
state where it is known to work about as well as it ever did. So that
*if* we have to resurrect it, we know that it at least was working at
the point where it was deleted.

I hate deleting code because it got broken. In contrast, I don't mind
deleting code that no longer makes sense to maintain. The two are
supposed to be very different things.

Linus