Kernel crashes in VirtualBox module after commit 2ecd9d29abb1

From: Larry Finger
Date: Mon Aug 10 2015 - 17:50:01 EST

A problem with the VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv.ko has been bisected to commit 2ecd9d29abb1 "sched, preempt_notifier: separate notifier registration from static_key inc/dec". The affected kernels crash is various ways. The most instructive includes a warning issued at kernel/sched/core.c:2342 in prempt_notifier_register() for "registering prempt_notifier while notifiers disabled" The call from vboxdrv is as follows:

/*
* Register the callback.
*/
preempt_disable();
pThis->fEnabled = true;
preempt_notifier_register(&pThis->LnxPreemptNotifier);
preempt_enable();

As I have no reason to suspect the kernel after this patch, I would like some suggestions regarding the best method to patch/fix the VirtualBox code.

Thanks,

Larry