Re: [RFC v3 2/2] mm, compaction: make kcompactd rely on sysctl_extfrag_threshold

From: Vlastimil Babka
Date: Mon Aug 10 2015 - 05:54:30 EST

On 08/09/2015 07:21 PM, PINTU KUMAR wrote:

-extern int fragmentation_index(struct zone *zone, unsigned int order);
+extern int fragmentation_index(struct zone *zone, unsigned int order,

+ bool ignore_suitable);

We would like to retain the original fragmentation_index as it is.
Because in some cases people may be using it without kcompactd.
In such cases, future kernel upgrades will suffer.
In my opinion fragmentation_index should work just based on zones and order.

I don't understand the concern. If you pass 'false' to ignore_suitable, you get the standard behavior. Only kcompactd uses the altered behavior.