Re: [RFC v0 0/3] Simple wait queue support

From: Paul Gortmaker
Date: Thu Aug 06 2015 - 15:23:49 EST

[[RFC v0 0/3] Simple wait queue support] On 05/08/2015 (Wed 15:30) Daniel Wagner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's a while since the last attempt by Paul to get simple wait ready
> for mainline [1]. At the last realtime workshop it was discussed how
> the swait implementation could be made preempt aware. Peter posted an
> untested version of it here [2].

So, from memory, here are the issues or questions that need answers
before we can consider trying mainline IMO.

1) naming: do we keep the swait, do we try and morph complex wait users
into using cwait, or some mix of the two, or ... ?

2) placement: as I think I said before, the standalone files works for
the -rt patches because it is the lowest maintenance solution, but
IMO for mainline, the simple and complex versions should be right
beside each other so they can be easily contrasted and compared and
so any changes to one will naturally also flow to the other.

3) barrier usage: we'd had some questions and patches in the past that
futz'd around with the use of barriers, and as a mainline requirement
we'd need someone to check, understand and document them all properly.

4) poll_wait: currently it and poll_table_entry are both hard coupled
to wait_queue_head_t -- so any users of poll_wait are not eligible
for conversion to simple wait. (I just happened to notice that
recently.) A quick grep shows ~500 poll_wait users.

5) the aforementioned "don't do an unbounded number of callbacks while
holding the raw lock" issue.

We should solve #5 for -rt regardless; I wouldn't attempt to make a
new "for mainline" set again w/o some consensus on #1 and #2, and I
think it would take someone like peterz/paulmck/rostedt to do #3
properly. I don't know if #4 is an issue we need to worry about
right away; probably not. And I'm sure I'll think of some other
issue five seconds after I hit send...

Paul.