Re: make htmldocs on linux-next failed with warnings.

From: Jonathan Corbet
Date: Thu Aug 06 2015 - 14:43:39 EST

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:31:59 -0600
Jonathan Corbet <corbet@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 15:28:56 +0100
> Ben Hutchings <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2015-07-16 at 23:22 +0900, Masanari Iida wrote:
> > > make htmldocs on linux-next have some parser warnings.
> > > Following commit cause the warning.
> >
> > Yes it has warnings but they should be non-fatal.
>
> Even so, we don't really want to be adding warnings to the build.
> Hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to fix these...?

So I've not heard any further on this. I think at this point I'm going
to revert the patch in question; adding warnings for everybody is just
not the right thing to do. The other patches in the series can stay.

Having spent some time pondering on the issue, I've also concluded that
this isn't quite the right solution to the problem. Better, I think, to
have docproc filter out the duplicates directly, and to direct the output
to a different file type (.fxml, say). Otherwise the .xml files can have
two different things depending on which type of docs was built first,
leading possibly to other formats being built with missing stuff.

I may hack together a solution along these lines, just because I do think
that the reproducible builds goal is an important one. But I've got a
*bunch* of other stuff that I have to get done, so I'm not quite sure
when I can get to it.

jon