Re: kdbus: to merge or not to merge?

From: Daniel Mack
Date: Thu Aug 06 2015 - 13:24:58 EST

On 08/06/2015 05:27 PM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>> In DBus (both kdbus and DBus1), such matches are installed on the
>> > NameOwnerChanged signal, and they can be either specific to a single ID,
>> > or broad, which will make them match on any ID. There's actually no
>> > reason for applications to install unspecific matches, but if they do,
>> > they will of course get what they asked for, and are woken up on every
>> > ID that is added to or removed from the bus. What you're seeing in your
>> > system profile is that some applications misbehave and install
>> > unspecific matches when they shouldn't. That's a userspace bug that
>> > needs fixing. Two candidates were actually in the systemd code base
>> > (logind and PID1), and both are now patched.
>
> Can you point me at the patch?

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/876
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/887

firewalld and possibly some other applications in the Fedora default
install use python-slip, a convenience library that currently
unconditionally installs the broad matches. I filed a bug with patches here:

https://fedorahosted.org/python-slip/ticket/2

And I filed more bugs for some GNOME components.

Thanks,
Daniel