Re: 4.2-rc5 rcu stalls.

From: Dave Jones
Date: Wed Aug 05 2015 - 09:19:37 EST

On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 02:37:59PM +0200, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 08:12:50PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> > >
> > > I've attached a revert courtesy of Peter.
> >
> > Thanks. At first I thought this was doing the trick, but then I hit this again.
> >

> > [23643.545873] INFO: rcu_preempt detected stalls on CPUs/tasks:
>
> If it still happens after Sasha's revert, which basically revert all the offending
> patches related to preempt lately, then the reason might be elsewhere.
>
> How hard was it to reproduce? I see 23000 secs in your dmesg logs which is around 6 hours.

yeah. That's why I thought it had fixed it up until that point.
My subsequent overnight run hit a different bug (that unpinning an unpinned lock bug in the scheduler)
so I haven't had it happen since.

> Also did you just launch trinity? no specific options?

basically

while [ 1 ];
do
trinity -N 1000000 -q -l off -C256 -a64 -x fsync -x fdatasync -x syncfs -x sync -P INET --enable-fds=sockets
sudo ipcrm -a
done

(The ipcrm thing is needed for long runs or eventually you oom, because trinity lacks the cleanup smarts)

Dave