Re: [linux-sunxi] [RFC] ARM: dts: sunxi: Add regulators and board-specific operating points for LeMaker BananaPi

From: Hans de Goede
Date: Mon Jul 27 2015 - 08:43:29 EST

Hi,

On 27-07-15 14:09, public_timo.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

Hans de Goede schrieb am 27.07.2015 10:07:

I've a simular patch here:

https://github.com/jwrdegoede/linux-sunxi/commit/6a30b7d5be6012b81e5e1439a444e41c0ac1afc1

I did not submit this upstream yet as it is part of a series to enable the otg
controller on the bananapi which needs axp-usb-power-supply support for which
the actual powersupply driver changes are still pending.
Oops, I see. Are you planning to submit this for 4.3 or later?

I plan to submit this for 4.3.

As you can see other then you adding the cpu operating points are patches are
identical, which is good :)
Yep, that and you chose a slightly higher maximum voltage for the CPU.

IMHO we should just stick with the standard operating points unless we know
that there are stability issues with them (such as e.g. on the A10 OlinuxIno
Lime).
I'd be fine with that as I don't have any stability issues with the lower
voltages. What about the 1008MHz operating point that I "reintroduced"? It was
dropped here [1] because there was no regulator support.

That is in essence an overclocked setting, the max CPU voltage officially is
1.4V, I do not think that we should provide any overclocked settings in the
official dts files. If people really want to overclock they will have to
modify there dts themselves IMHO.

> Can this be reenabled
on board level (which means overriding the defaults inherited from
sun7i-a20.dtsi) or should this be done at SOC level for all boards (which
means we have to add regulator nodes for all boards in the first place)?

Technically this is possible, but I do not think that it is a good idea.

Regards,

Hans