How to debug reboot/powerdown problems

From: Nils Rennebarth
Date: Sat Jun 27 2015 - 14:57:01 EST

Hi,

I have a new Laptop, a Medion E4214, with a standard xubuntu LTS 14.04 installed.
My problem is, that the notebook does neither reboot nor powerdown. It hangs late
in the powerdown/reboot sequence, with no error message shown on the console,
and I need to hold down the power button for 5s to switch it off hard.

I switched off the grub splash screen, to not miss any console messages, I stopped
X, network, sound and bluetooth, so that the loaded modules are only (lsmod output):

Module Size Used by
i915 1146880 1
drm_kms_helper 126976 1 i915
drm 352256 3 i915,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit 16384 1 i915
video 28672 1 i915
ahci 36864 2
libahci 32768 1 ahci

The problem persists, so if it the problem is in one of the drivers, it must be
one of the drivers above.
I tried to start with the reboot= set to acpi, bios, force or pci, to no avail.

Needless to say, that the notebook reboots/powers off when running windows 8.1

The system is mostly intel, ValleyView SoC, with a Realtek Ethernet controller.
Here is what lspci has to say:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView SSA-CUnit (rev 0e)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView Gen7 (rev 0e)
00:12.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView SDIO Controller (rev 0e)
00:13.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 0e)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 0e)
00:17.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView MIPI-HSI Controller (rev 0e)
00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView SEC (rev 0e)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation ValleyView High Definition Audio Controller (rev 0e)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port (rev 0e)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port (rev 0e)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView USB Enhanced Host Controller (rev 0e)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView Power Control Unit (rev 0e)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation ValleyView SMBus Controller (rev 0e)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)

Are there any options for startig / compiling to debug that further? Any tips appreciated.

Nils