Re: kdbus: to merge or not to merge?

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Jun 24 2015 - 22:15:12 EST

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 08:07:41AM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> FWIW, once there are real distros with kdbus userspace enabled,
> reviewing kdbus gets more complicated -- we'll be in the position
> where merging kdbus in a different form from that which was proposed
> will break existing users.

Actually, I think distros having it in their kernel before it's in mainline is
actually a good thing. Let them straighten out the issues that may come up
(not to mention possible CVEs). If the distros have it in their kernels and
out in the public for 6 months or more, that may give enough information as to
whether or not it should be merged.

I don't think it will complicate things even if the API changes. The distros
will have to deal with that fall out. Mainline only cares about its own
regressions. But any API changes would only be done for good reasons, and give
the distros an excuse to fix whatever was done wrong in the first place.

-- Steve