Re: changing format/size of data in TRACE_EVENT(extlog_mem_event)

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Wed Jun 24 2015 - 18:18:04 EST

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 02:56:49PM -0700, Luck, Tony wrote:
> So the question is - how can we update the trace event to include these
> new wider fields with the minimum pain to applications that look at it?
> I don't know if there are any other consumers besides rasdaemon at the
> moment ... but we don't want ugly transitions where you have to guess
> which version of the application you need to run to work with a given
> kernel version.

Well, can we issue an UEFI version and a binary blob which gets unpacked
in userspace depending on that version? Can tracepoints even do that?

Because the next time they change the spec, we're going to have to
deal with that PITA all over again... And if we're going to change the
tracepoint now, we better change it only once but in a way that can
accomodate future changes...

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

ECO tip #101: Trim your mails when you reply.