Re: [GIT PULL] EDAC updates for 4.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jun 24 2015 - 08:14:46 EST

On Jun 24, 2015 00:40, "Borislav Petkov" <bp@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The patches are based on 4.1-rc1. If it doesn't work on top of that,
> > then that means that you clearly have tested *none* of this. Which
> > just makes me go "yeah, I'm not pulling untested crap".
>
> Of course it has been tested but with the relevant tip branches merged.

No. I refuse to touch this crap.

What you are telling me is that the tree you sent me doesn't actually
work. Something else works, and that something else doesn't even
bisect, because even that something else only works at certain points.

You really expect me to take crap like that? Hell no.

If your stuff isn't self-sufficient, then it's not something I want to
ever pull. If the top of the tree you ask me to pull doesn't work (and
quite frankly, every commit leading to it) then it's bad and unusable.

This shows such a fundamental misunderstanding of what you should send
me that in starting to doubt all your other pull requests. How many of
them worked by our luck? If you are not testing what you actually send
me, I simply don't want to pull from you. It's that simple.

And no, this is not fixable by *you* doing the merge, and then sending
me the end result. That is still completely broken, since if something
goes wrong and things get bisected, there are points that don't work.
Yes, yes, "bugs happen", and there are always going to be points that
don't work just because something went wrong. But it's one thing to
have an unintentional bug, and another thing to do it on _purpose_.

Linus