Re: Write throughput impaired by touching dirty_ratio

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Wed Jun 24 2015 - 05:17:02 EST

On Wed 24-06-15 10:27:36, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> [add some CC's]
>
> On 06/19/2015 05:16 PM, Mark Hills wrote:
[...]
> > The system is an HP xw6600, running i686 kernel. This happens whether

How many CPUs does the machine have?

> > internal SATA HDD, SSD or external USB drive is used. I first saw this on
> > kernel 4.0.4, and 4.0.5 is also affected.

OK so this is 32b kernel which might be the most important part. What is
the value of /proc/sys/vm/highmem_is_dirtyable? Also how does your low
mem vs higmem look when you are setting the ratio (cat /proc/zoneinfo)?

It seems Vlastimil is right and a bogus ratelimit_pages is calculated
and your writers are throttled every few pages.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs