Re: [GIT PULL] EDAC updates for 4.2

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Wed Jun 24 2015 - 03:40:53 EST

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 03:49:50PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 2:11 AM, Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Important: Please merge this stuff *after* you have merged the tip pile
> > because it depends on it.
>
> What does this mean?

It means that it depends on functionality which went in through tip.

And to be more specific, the dependencies are the DEFERRED_ERROR_VECTOR
define and the amd_get_nodes_per_socket() helper. And it all is confined
to the AMD error injection module drivers/edac/mce_amd_inj.c.

So this is a debugging module for error injection - not something anyone
would ever use in production.

Everything else works fine.

> If it doesn't work or compile without the tip pile, then I'm not
> pulling it at all, since that means that any problems are not
> bisectable.

Ok, how would you prefer this solved - should I merge the relevant tip
branches into it?

Or should I remove the drivers/edac/mce_amd_inj.c changes from the pull
request?

In general, how would you prefer EDAC stuff handled properly when it
depends on x86 functionality which goes through tip?

> The patches are based on 4.1-rc1. If it doesn't work on top of that,
> then that means that you clearly have tested *none* of this. Which
> just makes me go "yeah, I'm not pulling untested crap".

Of course it has been tested but with the relevant tip branches merged.

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

ECO tip #101: Trim your mails when you reply.