Re: Tux3 Report: How fast can we fail?

From: Austin S Hemmelgarn
Date: Wed May 27 2015 - 10:05:04 EST

On 2015-05-27 03:37, Mosis Tembo wrote:

On 05/26/2015 12:03 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
We identified the following quality metrics for this algorithm:

1) Never fails to detect out of space in the front end.
2) Always fills a volume to 100% before reporting out of space.
3) Allows rm, rmdir and truncate even when a volume is full.

This is definitely nonsense. You can not rm, rmdir and truncate
when the volume is full. You will need a free space on disk to perform
such operations. Do you know why?

I assume you are referring either to Tux3 specifically or COW filesystems in general, because you very much _can_ do any of those on any of the non-COW filesystems in the Linux kernel (I know from experience). Also, IIRC, it was mentioned somewhere that Tux3 keeps a small reserve of space on the volume for internal operations; and, I would assume that if that is the case, it reports the volume full when everything *except* that reserve of space is used, in which case rm, rmdir, and truncate should work fine when the volume is full.