Re: dell_rbtn - kernel panic at boot...

From: Pali RohÃr
Date: Wed May 27 2015 - 03:28:37 EST

On Tuesday 26 May 2015 21:16:58 Darren Hart wrote:
> On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 08:03:42AM +0200, Pali RohÃr wrote:
> > >
> > > Mrm. It's slightly conceptually nasty in that one's an ACPI driver
> > > and one's calling a Dell custom interface, but I think merging them
> > > is probably the last bad answer.
> >
> > I think merging does not fix our problem. dell laptop rfkill driver
> > needs to be initialized after dell-rbtn acpi driver register itself.
>
> If they were the same driver, you could control this ordering.

Yes, I see, you are right. I can call acpi driver register function and
after that initializing dell laptop rfkill code.

> > And dell-laptop and dell-rbtn are two different devices (one dell smbios
> > and one acpi) and it for me it sounds like bad idea too...
>
> We all agree it's a bad idea - the point Mathew and I made was it may be the
> "least bad" idea (all the others may be worse).
>
> I'm looking into this, but I don't have an easy answer for you. This one is
> going to take some research on your part to get to the right answer.

I still think that changing module_init() could work... Do you know who
can help us with those _ini*() macros (and ideally answer how to do that)?

--
Pali RohÃr
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx