Re: earlycon: no match?

From: Peter Hurley
Date: Thu May 07 2015 - 13:22:26 EST

On 05/07/2015 01:09 PM, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

>>> "console=" had nothing to do with early param before.
>>
>> *Yes, it has* since the commit I referenced in the previous email and
>> the email before that when I noted that 'console=' and 'earlycon=' are
>> synonyms if CONFIG_SERIAL_EARLYCON=y, and it has been that way since
>> 2007.
>>
>> The only thing that has changed is that I added a diagnostic; _to repeat_,
>> the earlycon matching code has always run in this case, only the
>> diagnostic is new.
>
> What's the point of having two parameters as synonyms whose syntax is not
> compatible to each other in the general case? I'd expect the following
> cases to be handled:
>
> 1. Regular console only (no early console requested) => `console=foo...'.
>
> 2. Both early and regular console => `earlycon=blah... console=foo...'.
>
> 3. Early console handing over to regular console => `earlycon=blah...'.

4. Early console only => `earlycon=blah...'

How to distinguish between 3 & 4?

> Why do you want to support `console=blah...' too (a question to be asked
> back in 2007, but better late than never)?

Command line is considered to be userspace, so it doesn't really matter
what I think about whether console= should have been overloaded like that.

The fact is, it was.

> If you do need to support such aliasing, then I suggest that you complain
> about no early console match only if `earlycon=blah...' has been truly
> used and avoid the warning where `console=blah...' has been used instead
> (a warning about the latter can be issued where no regular console match
> happened).

I'm tearing it out; I'd prefer to go back to the old way where you
don't know why your earlycon didn't start, and I don't get emails
complaining about logs.

Regards,
Peter Hurley