Re: how to have the kernel do udev's job and autoload the right modules ?

From: Austin S Hemmelgarn
Date: Thu May 07 2015 - 08:04:54 EST

On 2015-05-06 16:49, David Lang wrote:
On Wed, 6 May 2015, linuxcbon linuxcbon wrote:

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 7:53 PM, David Lang <david@xxxxxxx> wrote:
It's perfectly legitimate to not want to use udev, but that doesn't mean
that the kernel will (or should) do it for you.
David Lang

When I boot the kernel without modules, I don't have anything working
except "minimal video".
I think the kernel should give a minimal support for network, sound and
video, even if 0 modules are loaded. I am just dreaming,

You can do that, you just need to build in all the network and sound
drivers (and pick which driver in the case of conflicts)

There isn't such a thing as a 'generic' network or sound card. For video
there is 'VGA video' which is used by default on x86 systems, but even
that's a driver that could be disabled.

To explain further, video has a standardized hardware level API (VGA and VBE) because it is considered critical system functionality (which is BS in my opinion, you can get by just fine with a serial console, but that's irrelevant to this discussion). Sound is traditionally not considered critical, and therefore doesn't have a standardized hardware API. Networking is (traditionally) only considered critical if the system is booting off the network, and therefore only has a standardized API (part of the PXE spec, known as UNDI) on some systems, and even then only when they are configured to netboot (and IIRC, also only when the processor is in real mode, just like for all other BIOS calls).