Re: running hrtimer_start on an already active hrtimer?

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Tue May 05 2015 - 13:15:47 EST

On Tue, 5 May 2015, Jiri Bohac wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I came across a strange bug (in a very old kernel) that triggers
> the
> BUG_ON(timer->state != HRTIMER_STATE_CALLBACK);
> in __run_hrtimer().
>
> The code runs hrtimer_start() on an already started hrtimer.
> Looking at the description of hrtimer_start() it looks
> like something that is allowed:
> /**
> * hrtimer_start - (re)start an hrtimer on the current CPU
> * Returns:
> * 0 on success
> * 1 when the timer was active
>
> Is this really supposed to work?
>
> I think it's not immune to this race condition:
>
> CPU0 CPU1
> __run_hrtimer()
> __remove_hrtimer(...HRTIMER_STATE_CALLBACK)
> //clears HRTIMER_STATE_ENQUEUED
> raw_spin_unlock(&cpu_base->lock);
> restart = fn(timer);
> hrtimer_start()
> __hrtimer_start_range_ns()
> //remove_hrtimer() does nothing because
> // HRTIMER_STATE_ENQUEUED is not set
> enqueue_hrtimer()
> raw_spin_lock(&cpu_base->lock);
> BUG_ON(timer->state != HRTIMER_STATE_CALLBACK);
> // state has HRTIMER_STATE_ENQUEUED set

That's in the conditional path:

if (restart != HRTIMER_NORESTART) {
BUG_ON(timer->state != HRTIMER_STATE_CALLBACK);

Which was intentional when we implemented hrtimers in the very
beginning. We wanted to enforce that restart from the callback is not
mixed with a start from some other place.

We removed that restriction recently (queued for 4.2 in
tip/timers/core)

> Should __hrtimer_start_range_ns() do something like
> hrtimer_cancel - i.e. explicitly check for ...
> HRTIMER_STATE_CALLBACK?

No, you cannot do anything about it other than lifting the restriction
or preventing the site which handles the hrtimer to start it.

Thanks,

tglx