Re: [RFC kgr on klp 0/9] kGraft on the top of KLP

From: Josh Poimboeuf
Date: Mon May 04 2015 - 23:44:11 EST

On Tue, May 05, 2015 at 12:48:22AM +0200, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Mon, 4 May 2015, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:
> > Why do we need multiple consistency models?
>
> Well, I am pretty sure we need always at least two:
>
> - the "immediate" one, where the code redirection flip is switched
> unconditionally and immediately (i.e. exactly what we currently have in
> Linus' tree); semantically applicable to many patches, but not all of
> them
>
> - something that fills the "but not all of them" gap above.

What's the benefit of having the "immediate" model in addition to
the more comprehensive model?

> Both of the solutions that have been presnted so far have some drawbacks
> that need to be discussed further. To me, the "highlights" (in the
> "drawbacks" space) are:
>
> - any method that is stack-checking-based basically means that we have to
> functionally 100% rely on stack unwinding correctness. We have never
> done that before, and current stack unwinder is not ready for that
> (Josh is working on improving that);

I wouldn't call it a drawback. More like a deal breaker :-) But yeah,
I'm working on that.

> plus it can cause the patching to fail under certain circumstances

Assuming you're talking about the kGraft/kpatch hybrid RFC, it actually
doesn't fail. It falls back to asynchronous lazy migration for any
straggler tasks.

> - the kGraft method is not (yet) able to patch kernel threads, and allows
> for multiple instances of the patched functions to be running in
> parallel (i.e. patch author needs to be aware of this constaint, and
> write the code accordingly)

Not being able to patch kthreads sounds like a huge drawback, if not a
deal breaker. How does the patching state ever reach completion?

> This is exactly why we are submitting the kGraft-on-klp patchset, so that
> we have concurrent implementations (sharing the same goal) to compare, and
> ultimately merge whatever the best possible outcome will be.

Another big downside to kGraft, assuming you want the patching to
complete within a realistic period of time, is that you have to wake up
all the sleeping tasks and send them through their signal handling
paths. I would say it's orders of magnitude more disruptive and much
riskier compared to walking the stacks (again, assuming we can make
stack walking "safe").

--
Josh