Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

From: Austin S Hemmelgarn
Date: Fri May 01 2015 - 11:49:21 EST

On 2015-04-29 08:47, Harald Hoyer wrote:
Until then the whole common IPC problem is unresolved and Linux
distributions are just a collection of random software with no common
interoperability and home grown interfaces.
I don't know how I managed to not notice this comment before, but I find it particularly hilarious.
The part about 'no common interoperability' is just plain BS with the exception of some of the insanity being touted by systemd advocates and the insanity that is accessibility software on linux, you can easily string together pretty much arbitrary strings of commands using fifo's to achieve almost anything; the actual interoperability issues (WRT to the command line at least, which is where all the stuff you are complaining about works) come up only with stuff (like journald for example) that just refuses to use text interfaces on the command-line.
Also, the 'home grown interfaces' you are complaining about are used on every operating system (not just Linux or other Unix progeny) every day, and no amount of better IPC is going to stop that; furthermore, almost every current 'standard' protocol or interface used on the internet started out as a 'home grown interface' (TCP/IP immediately comes to mind, followed shortly by NFS, SMTP, WebDAV, SSH, XML, JSON, and a whole slew of others).