Re: Concerns about "mpt2sas: Added Reply Descriptor Post Queue (RDPQ) Array support"

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Thu Apr 02 2015 - 01:40:04 EST

On Thu, 2015-02-19 at 21:45 -0800, James Bottomley wrote:

> Ben, this is legal by design. It was specifically designed for the
> aic79xx SCSI card, but can be used for a variety of other reasons. The
> aic79xx hardware problem was that the DMA engine could address the whole
> of memory (it had two address modes, a 39 bit one and a 64 bit one) but
> the script engine that runs the mailboxes only had a 32 bit activation
> register (the activating write points at the physical address of the
> script to begin executing). This meant that the scripts that run in
> memory had to be in the first 4GB of physical memory, hence the split
> mask. The DMA mask specifies that the card can transfer from anywhere
> in physical memory, but the consistent_dma_mask says that the consistent
> allocation used to get scripts memory must come from the lower 4GB.

So looking at that again...

This is interesting ... basically any driver using a different mask has
been broken on powerpc for basically ever. The whole concept was poorly
designed, for example, the set_consistent_mask isn't a dma_map_ops
unlike everything else.

In some cases, what we want is convey a base+offset information to
drivers but we can't do that.

This stuff cannot work with setups like a lot of our iommus where we
have a remapped region at the bottom of the DMA address space and a
bypass (direct map) region high up.

Basically, we can fix it, at least for most platforms, but it will be
hard, invasive, *and* will need to go to stable. Grmbl.

We'll have to replace our "direct" DMA ops (which just apply an offset)
which we use for devices that set a 64-bit mask on platform that support
a bypass window, with some smart-ass hybrid variant that selectively
shoot stuff up to the bypass window or down via the iommu remapped based
on the applicable mask for a given operation.

It would be nice if we could come up with a way to inform the driver
that we support that sort of "bypass" region with an offset. That would
allow drivers that have that 64-bit base + 32-bit offset scheme to work
much more efficiently for us. The driver could configure the base to be
our "bypass window offset", and we could use ZONE_DMA32 for consistent
DMAs.

It would also help us with things like some GPUs that can only do 40-bit
DMA (which won't allow them to reach our bypass region normally) but do
have a way to configure the generated top bits of all DMA addresses in
some fixed register.

Any idea what such an interface might look like ?

Cheers,
Ben.