Re: linux-next: Tree for Mar 31 (build failures and culprits)

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Wed Apr 01 2015 - 08:24:28 EST

On 04/01/2015 01:08 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 07:17:36PM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On 03/31/2015 04:07 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
You need 3.17 kernel headers to have memfd_create, not much the kdbus
test code can do about that. You might want to update the kernel
headers for these build boxes.

Seems there are brand-new requirements for kernel builds. The toolchain determines
the headers used, not the native kernel (which, FWIW, is 3.19). You might want
to document somewhere that "allmodconfig" and possibly "allyesconfig" now only
builds if the toolchain is based on 3.17+ kernel headers.

I think I'll just drop those allmodconfig builds instead, or find a means to drop
the samples/kdbus builds. Sorry, my time is limited. Building toolchains costs a
lot of time, which I simply don't have. Keep in mind that I am doing all this on
my own spare time. You are putting a lot of burden on people doing test builds.

You _can_ avoid it by seeding those configurations. You place the
options you want to force to a specific value in a file, and then
do:

make allmodconfig KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG=seed-config-file

So, to turn off samples:

CONFIG_SAMPLES=n

in seed-config-file. Hence, you can still do an allmodconfig build but
without building the samples subdir.

I am doing it more complicated (so far), by using sed to manipulate the config file
after it was created, but that is better - I'll switch to that method.

Thanks!

Guenter