Re: [RFC] vmstat: Avoid waking up idle-cpu to service shepherd work

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Mon Mar 30 2015 - 10:00:19 EST

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 06:44:22PM +0530, Viresh Kumar wrote:
> On 30 March 2015 at 18:17, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > No, I means something else with that. We can remove the
> > tvec_base::running_timer field. Everything that uses that can use
> > tbase_running() AFAICT.
>
> Okay, there is one instance which still needs it.
>
> migrate_timers():
>
> BUG_ON(old_base->running_timer);
>
> What I wasn't sure about it is if we get can drop this statement or not.
> If we decide not to drop it, then we can convert running_timer into a bool.

Yeah, so that _should_ not trigger (obviously), and while I agree with
the sentiment of sanity checks, I'm not sure its worth keeping that
variable around just for that.

Anyway, while I'm looking at struct tvec_base I notice the cpu member
should be second after the lock, that'll save 8 bytes on the structure
on 64bit machines.