alx: Wake-on-LAN with Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171

From: MegaBrutal
Date: Sat Mar 28 2015 - 16:59:22 EST

Hi Johannes,

I have an ASRock B85M motherboard with Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171 NIC.

In dmesg, I see the NIC is claimed by your alx driver:
[ 0.530351] alx 0000:04:00.0 eth0: Qualcomm Atheros AR816x/AR817x
Ethernet [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx]

In lspci, the NIC shows up like this:
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

While the motherboard manufacturer advertises the board supports
Wake-on-LAN, and I enabled it in BIOS, I can't activate it with
ethtool.

See what happens when I try:

root@vmhost:~# ethtool p3p1
Settings for p3p1:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: Not reported
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: No
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: off
MDI-X: Unknown
Current message level: 0x000060e4 (24804)
link ifup rx_err tx_err hw wol
Link detected: yes

root@vmhost:~# ethtool -s p3p1 wol g
Cannot get current wake-on-lan settings: Operation not supported
not setting wol

I'm wondering if it's because of the driver. I see alx is a relatively
new driver, and probably WOL support is not yet implemented. I'd like
to know if this is the case, or otherwise what might be the reason why
I can't use the Wake-on-LAN feature?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Regards,
MegaBrutal