Re: [v3 24/26] KVM: Update Posted-Interrupts Descriptor when vCPU is blocked

From: Marcelo Tosatti
Date: Fri Mar 27 2015 - 15:31:18 EST

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 06:34:14AM +0000, Wu, Feng wrote:
> > > Currently, the following code is executed before local_irq_disable() is called,
> > > so do you mean 1)moving local_irq_disable() to the place before it. 2) after
> > interrupt
> > > is disabled, set KVM_REQ_EVENT in case the ON bit is set?
> >
> > 2) after interrupt is disabled, set KVM_REQ_EVENT in case the ON bit
> > is set.
>
> Here is my understanding about your comments here:
> - Disable interrupts
> - Check 'ON'
> - Set KVM_REQ_EVENT if 'ON' is set
>
> Then we can put the above code inside " if (kvm_check_request(KVM_REQ_EVENT, vcpu) || req_int_win) "
> just like it used to be. However, I still have some questions about this comment:
>
> 1. Where should I set KVM_REQ_EVENT? In function vcpu_enter_guest(), or other places?

See below:

> If in vcpu_enter_guest(), since currently local_irq_disable() is called after 'KVM_REQ_EVENT'
> is checked, is it helpful to set KVM_REQ_EVENT after local_irq_disable() is called?

local_irq_disable();

*** add code here ***

if (vcpu->mode == EXITING_GUEST_MODE || vcpu->requests
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|| need_resched() || signal_pending(current)) {
vcpu->mode = OUTSIDE_GUEST_MODE;
smp_wmb();
local_irq_enable();
preempt_enable();
vcpu->srcu_idx = srcu_read_lock(&vcpu->kvm->srcu);
r = 1;
goto cancel_injection;
}

> 2. 'ON' is set by VT-d hardware, it can be set even when interrupt is disabled (the related bit in PIR is also set).

Yes, we are checking if the HW has set an interrupt in PIR while
outside VM (which requires PIR->VIRR transfer by software).

If the interrupt it set by hardware after local_irq_disable(),
VMX-entry will handle the interrupt and perform the PIR->VIRR
transfer and reevaluate interrupts, injecting to guest
if necessary, is that correct ?

> So does it make sense to check 'ON' and set KVM_REQ_EVENT accordingly after interrupt is disabled?

To replace the costly

+ */
+ if (kvm_x86_ops->hwapic_irr_update)
+ kvm_x86_ops->hwapic_irr_update(vcpu,