Re: linux-next: build warnings after merge of the access_once tree

From: Christian Borntraeger
Date: Thu Mar 26 2015 - 13:24:32 EST

Am 26.03.2015 um 17:15 schrieb Linus Torvalds:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 7:22 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> So we can either just remove the READ_ONCE(), or replace it with a
>> leading barrier() call just to be on the paranoid side of things.
>
> NOOO!
>
>> Any preferences?
>
> Not a preference: a _requirement_.
>
> Get rid of the f*cking size checks etc on READ_ONCE() and friends.

Oh I just added that check back then because some guy named
Linus suggested something like that ;-)

--- snip ---
(Btw, it's not just aggregate types, even non-aggregate types like
"long long" are not necessarily safe, to give the same 64-bit on
x86-32 example. So adding an assert that it's smaller or equal in size
to a "long" might also not be unreasonable)
--- snip ---

https://www.marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=141565366209769&w=1

I am fine with Peters patch :-)

Christian