Re: BUG: SCSI aic7xxx driver and AMD IOMMU

From: Joerg Roedel
Date: Thu Mar 26 2015 - 11:52:58 EST

Hi Mark,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 10:58:15AM -0400, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> Sorry but CMA was still badly broken. I have a patch below that works.

In which way is it broken? What happens when you try to allocate memory
with dma_alloc_coherent?

> I've tested it with small (no CMA) and large (with CMA) dma's using
> dma_alloc_coherent. The patch below is just the "git diff" from your
> cloned tree piped to a file then copied into this email. If you require
> an official patch I can send one. Just let me know.

The main differences I can spot are that you change the order (first
CMA, then buddy) and you manually align the input size. I can see the
reason for the later, but why does CMA need to be tried first?

> Also, in my opinion, this CMA thing is clearly a BUG not a feature
> request. The AMD iommu clearly breaks CMA. I feel what ever fix
> you are happy with should be back ported to stable.

It is not a BUG, the interface definition for dma_alloc_coherent does
not specify that it can allocate infinite amounts of memory. So this
patch does not qualify for stable.

Joerg