Re: [patch 1/4] fs, jfs: remove slab object constructor

From: Mikulas Patocka
Date: Wed Mar 25 2015 - 22:19:17 EST

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015, David Rientjes wrote:

> Mempools based on slab caches with object constructors are risky because
> element allocation can happen either from the slab cache itself, meaning
> the constructor is properly called before returning, or from the mempool
> reserve pool, meaning the constructor is not called before returning,
> depending on the allocation context.

I don't think there is any problem. If the allocation is hapenning from
the slab cache, the constructor is called from the slab sybsystem.

If the allocation is hapenning from the mempool reserve, the constructor
was called in the past (when the mempool reserve was refilled from the
cache). So, in both cases, the object allocated frmo the mempool is
constructed.

Mikulas