Re: [RFC] capabilities: Ambient capabilities

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Sat Mar 14 2015 - 18:54:05 EST

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 3:17 PM, Andrew G. Morgan <morgan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> So you are saying that pA is always a strict subset of pI (and pP)?
>>> Then why not explicitly implement it as:
>>>
>>> pA' = (file caps or setuid or setgid ? 0 : pA)
>>> pP' = (fP & X) | (pI & [fI | (pA' & pP)] )
>>>
>>> As it is you have so distributed these constraints that it is hard to
>>> be sure it will remain that way.
>>
>> That would be insecure. If an attacker had pA = CAP_SYS_ADMIN, pI =
>> 0, pP = 0 (i.e. no privs but pA is set somehow) then, unless that's
>> there's some other protection implemented, they could run some setuid
>> program, and that program could switch back to non-root, set pI = 0,
>> and call execve. Unexpectedly, CAP_SYS_ADMIN would be inherited.
>
> Forgive me, but which bit of
>
> pI & [fI | (pA' & pP)]
>
> with pI = 0 makes that so?

Oh, I misread that.

I think it's already unnecessarily confusing that you can inherit
nonzero pI without inheriting the corresponding bits in pP, and I
don't want to add yet more degrees of freedom in non-permitted caps.

>>> The pI set is inherited through this exec unmolested.
>>
>> This is flat-out useless. Having pI = CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE doesn't
>> let me bind low-numbered ports, full stop.
>
> Even in your proposed model, neither pI nor pA does this. It is what
> is in pE that counts.

Let me state it more precisely. If your parent puts
CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE in pI and execs you, you can't bind low-numbered
ports. If your parent puts CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE in pA, you can.

>>> My Nack remains that you are eliminating the explicit enforcement of
>>> selective inheritance. A lockable secure bit protecting access to your
>>> prctl() function would address this concern.
>>
>> Would a sysctl or securebit that *optionally* allows pA to be disabled
>> satisfy you?
>>
>> I don't understand why lockable is at all useful. You'd need
>> CAP_SETPCAP to flip it regardless.
>
> Because it means one can create process trees in which this behavior
> is guaranteed to be allowed and/or disallowed.

I don't see why guaranteeing that it's allowed is particularly useful.
I also don't see why any of the securebits lock bits are useful. I
don't specifically object; I just don't see the point. If you give a
subtree CAP_SETPCAP but you don't trust them enough to leave
securebits unlocked, then I think your threat model is confused.

--Andy